Would you choose a doctor because he offered the lowest cost? An attorney? A highly skilled employee responsible for million dollar investments? No! You'd choose based on expertise, ability to perform the work, and the trust you have in the provider. The same applies for architects and engineers.

Benefits of QBS?
The services provided by design firms are the single most important factor in determining a project's overall construction and life–cycle costs. The fee for the technical skills and experience provided by a high quality firm amount to approximately 1% of the total cost of the project. Yet these services are critical in determining the other 99% of the project's life–cycle costs, as well as the quality of the completed project. Placing the emphasis on qualifications instead of cost gives the Owner the ability to select the right consultant for the task. It also:

Maximizes quality, value, cost–effectiveness, and usefulness
Details scope of work, schedule, and the cost for services before a contract is signed
Creates trust and a common goal for the team
Enhances communication
Maximizes creativity, innovation, and technical expertise
Improves cost control
Improves quality control

Low–bid procurement may save owners a small amount on up front design costs, but it costs taxpayer money over the life of the project. Low–bid procurement can lead to increased change orders, higher project maintenance costs, higher construction costs, and may undermine public health and safety. The long–term savings achieved by emphasizing quality outweighs low–bid savings.

Website development in association with Brown and Caldwell